Placed in Films
Feature, Drama, Documentary
Two nine-year-old girls report a flasher to the police even though they never saw him. Three filmmakers meet the only residents of a deserted village – an elderly brother and sister who have not spoken to each other in 16 years. Retired cleaning women are found raped and strangled in a small town. The fiction slowly turns into a documentary.
Marking the return of Milcho Manchevski, MOTHERS portrays all types: dedicated, neglectful, loving, absent. Through these women, Manchevski renders the faces of human tragedy and joy. Employing an innovative structure, the three stories in MOTHERS highlight the delicate relationships of truth and fiction, of drama and documentary. What is the nature of truth?
Directed with a keen eye for contemporary Macedonia, the film eschews neat narrative devices and pushes the viewer to confront their own definitions of filmic reality. In a traditional structuralist manner, the structure of the film itself (two parts fiction and one part documentary) becomes part of its message.
- Silver Award for Film as Art Phenomenon – Minsk International Film Festival Listаpad, Belarus, 2011
- Directing Award – LIFFE, 2011
- Critics Award for Best Film “Nebojsa Djukelic” – FEST International Film Festival, Belgrade, Serbia, 2011
- Special Jury Prize in the selection “Europe out of Europe”- FEST International Film Festival, Belgrade, Serbia, 2011
- FEDEORA (Federation of European and Mediterranean Film Critics) Award -Cinema City International Film Festival, 2011
- Berlin International Film Festival(Berlinale)2011-Germany
- Toronto International Film Festival 2010-Canada
- ICFF Manaki Brothers 2010, Bitola-Macedonia
- Sao Paolo International Film Festival 2010-Brazil
- Brno Cinema Mundi 2011-Poland
- Cleveland International Film Festival 2011, Cleveland-USA
- Sofia International Film Festival 2011-Bulgaria
- Vilnius International Film Festival 2011-Latvia
- Istanbul International Film Festival 2011-Turkey
- Las Palmas de Gran Canaria International Film Festival 2011-Spain